Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Geek Nails: Girl on Fire Edition

As I mentioned in a previous post, my newest geek obsession is the Hunger Games trilogy. Sadly, I haven't been able to see the movie yet, but I loved the books. I have a couple of  ideas for Hunger Games themed manis, but I had to start with my Katniss tribute (making it a tribute tribute?).

This one was taken in full sun.

I decided to try to make a gradient manicure that looks like fire and embers. Personally, I think I succeeded pretty well. I started with a base coat of China Glaze Riveting, then working from the bottom up, brushed on China Glaze Lubu Heels, ELF Cranberry, and some more Riveting.

This one was taken in partial shade.

Next, I used a bit of make up sponge to add more of the same colors and blend them. It turned out that Lubu Heels was darker than I liked so I sponged some of both of the other two colors on top to lighten it up. The end result had a depth that definitely resembles coals. I finished up with a little bit of Cover Girl Boundless Color Gold Rush to add sparks to the tips.

This one was taken in complete shade.



I loved this look so much I wore it until the tips were chipping and it was really grown out at the cuticles. It's definitely one of my favorite manis I've done in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment