Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

Geek Nails: Pern Edition

This manicure is one that I've been planning for a really long time. I wanted to wait until I could get just the right stamp to do it because it's my tribute to something very close to my heart, Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series.

The Pern novels are set in a distant future on a colony world that Earth has forgotten. The colonists have survived the main natural threat of their world, a voracious organism called thread, through a partnership with telepathic dragons. The world is rich and complex, with it's own politics, culture, and social mores developed over two thousand years. The series covers several periods in that history, including everything from colonization to Pern's present day.

The dragons of Pern were my inspiration for this nail art. There are five colors of dragons: gold, bronze, brown, blue, and green, and they have faceted jewel-toned eyes.


The polishes I used to represent the dragon's colors are (from thumb to pinky):
China Glaze Mega Bite
Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Bronze Ablaze
Loreal Owl's Night
Maybelline Colorama Blueberry Surprise
Wild and Crazy Colors Erie



I stamped the dragon image using Chez Delany plate D10 and Konad White Pearl. I added the jewel on my thumb to represent the dragon's eye.



I started reading the Dragonriders books when I was in middle school, and they were an important part of my life from then on. I've re-read the majority of them in the last two years because they are still a place I escape to when things in my life are hard. I was lucky enough to hear Ms. McCaffrey read from one of her books and meet her briefly at DragonCon several years ago, and I'm glad that I got a chance to tell her how much her books mean to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment