Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Chunky Holo Mani

If you look at my polish Wishlist, you'll see there are several Nfu Oh flakies on there. I really like this look, particularly layered over black (if you haven't seen these, MeganChair of Polish or Perish did a great post showing quite a few of them over different base colors). However, these polishes are a little pricey and only available online, so I haven't gotten any of them. However, KleanColor, which is already one of my favorite less expensive brands, has helped tide me over until I can get my hands on some by having KleanColor Chunky Holo Black in their line up. The large hex sequins in this polish tend to group together, creating something that resembles the Nfu Oh flakies.


For some reason, my pictures of this just really didn't show how great it looked. In person, this is a dark, shiny black covered with large, sparkly bits that shift in color from blue to green to gold to orange to bright red. It really looked great, and I'm disappointed that I can't show that off.

Anyway, I started with a base of Wet 'n' Wild Black Creme. This polish goes on smoothly without pooling. It also dries very quickly, so it's great as a base. I only used one coat for this, and it was completely opaque. It dries to a sort of satin finish.

I added two coats of Chunky Holo Black on top of that. This polish has a purplish jelly base color and is fairly sheer. You'll definitely want to layer this if you prefer totally opaque colors. It has both large hex sequins and smaller glitter, both of which have a holo effect. I also swatched this over white, and this picture actually show the colors a little better.


On one final note from the complaint department, both of these pictures picked up some bubbling that wasn't visible in real life. Obviously, the bubbles must have been there, but you couldn't see them on me or the nail wheel. I've been having a lot of trouble with bubbling lately, and after some trail and error, I think I've determined that sitting under a ceiling fan set to "gale force" is the culprit. I've started making myself turn the fan off to do my nails, but it isn't easy when it's 95 outside!

1 comment:

  1. pretty! mine is Gosh Rainbow it almost look the same :) nice mani :) by the way im your new follower i love and i love your blog! :) you can visit mine too http://neelai14.blogspot.com/

    :)

    ReplyDelete